Monday, December 29, 2008

And a happy Samoan Christmas to you too

A few years ago I visited Samoa with my travel buddy Louise.
We stayed everywhere from the classic Aggie Grey's Hotel to beachside fales without electricity.
Somewhere we must have stayed with a couple who are among the great Christmas card senders of the world. Every year I get two cards from them - one to "Otto, Rita and family" and the other to "Mark and Jeanette".
I do not know any of these people.
Perhaps they receive the cards intended for me.
The cards are quite wonderful 3D numbers (in the one above left, Santa's head and arm and also boots are raised on small blocks of styrofoam). I never quite have the heart to put them up as they are not for me and bolstering my card numbers seems tragic. Nor can I return them as the senders don't reveal their address.
It's gotta be hot for Santa in Samoa.
Meanwhile, on the King of Darlinghurst front, the King is back in his domain. He roamed the kingdom this morning and came home exhausted, sleeping on the bed with all four feet sticking straight up in the air.

No comments: